Thursday, November 16, 2006

Religion; abel


I can go on and on about religion. How I don't subscribe to it, the events leading to being agnostic, how its fanatic believers would be ironically the roots of many historical and possibly future catastrophes.

I believe, like everything else, religion has to be balanced. This is my religion. I give thanks that God has granted me the faith to believe that I could change things for the better just by being alive. But to subscribe to a particular faith through insistence that the bible, the quran or that through reciting the sutra I could ultimately gain enlightenment or be forgiven, I'll pass thank you.

Religion is marketed in many ways, there is the coercion of fear, there are the social support cell groups, word of mouth, entertaining pastors on TV and religious albums. I have had my brush with faith, it didn't blossom, but it didn't disintegrate my concept of a higher being watching over us.

My main reason for being agnostic however, would be my lack of knowledge in this arena. Sure i've read the Bible, and know the many ways of Buddhism. But I''m neither familiar with the Islamic faith nor Hinduism to completely surrender myself to one God, knowing that I can't kowtow to the Ultimate Supreme without sheepishly looking over my shoulder to see if everyone else is doing the same.

So. For the time being, I am open to all 'recommendations' and pitches. But don't put too much faith in it.

No comments: